Division: Digital Public Services and Business Transformation
Salary: £46,424 - £55,275
Type: 23 month fixed term contract
Closing date: 4/08/17
Digital technology offers the opportunity to transform the way public services are delivered, both in the cost of their delivery and in improving the user-experience of those services.
Digital Public Services and Business Transformation works with the wider public sector to deliver a range of technical products. These include mygov.scot, which is a single point of entry to government services for citizens and businesses; beta.gov.scot, which is the nation-state website; and Rubric, which is the publishing system that underpins both of these .scot sites.
The Test Engineer will have broad and deep testing expertise and will understand the goals and strategy behind each project from conception through completion. This will involve providing technical leadership at the project level and responsibility for successful delivery of individual web applications or components.
- Remain up to date with best practice as well as new developments and trends within the testing industry / communities.
- Regularly reflect on the capabilities and maturity of the testing team and contribute to the process of continuous improvement.
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the role of the team is well understood.
- Contribute to the testing strategy, technology radar and support the introduction of new tools, techniques and platforms through a hold, assess, trial, adopt lifecycle.
- Implement the team’s strategy for test management including the traceability of tests to business requirements.
- Perform test-planning activities, including the discovery, capture and definition of tests from a system’s business requirements.
- Provide accurate estimates of testing activities and work alongside the project management team to plan and schedule test execution.
- Execute test plans, performing system, integration and exploratory testing to identify defects in mygov.scot systems.
- Measure and report on the system testing process at the project level.
- Follow the defect lifecycle and defect management process, in conjunction with software and infrastructure engineers, to both minimise time to fix and to reduce the mygov.scot defect rate over time.
- Identify innovative testing techniques, methods and tools and share these with the testing team.
- Work in collaboration with software engineers, infrastructure engineers and business analysts to contribute to the overall assurance of delivery from the mygov.scot program.
- Leverage automation, where appropriate, to increase the rate at which the testing process can provide feedback on defects, to help detecting any regression that may have been introduced as part of the development of new features.
- Follow appropriate checklists, frameworks and other artefacts to enable a consistent approach to testing.
- Leverage provided tooling to support system testing activities.
- Provide consultation / education / support to other public bodies as a part of the transformation activities that form part of the division’s remit.
Competencies and Experience Required
Communications and Engagement - You will contribute to and develop clear, creative and detailed policy communication strategies to achieve SG outcomes. You will manage internal and external relationships, creating positive networks and maintaining trust and credibility. You will know when to engage with communications specialists and consider the impact on other policies and programmes across SG & wider system. You will communicate complex information clearly, presenting strategic ideas in a clear and positive way.
Improving Performance - You will use relevant tools, techniques and skills development to facilitate continuous improvement. You will understand SG Programme and Project management Principles and uses PPM effectively and proportionately. You will adapt quickly to fit skills and resources to changing circumstances and expectations. You will maintain and promote risk management processes to improve strategic planning and resource allocation.
Analysis and Use of Evidence - You will develop policy options and decisions using a range of evidence and research, to ensure that polices are aligned to outcomes. You will use relevant evidence, recognising validity and limitations, in evaluations & assessment of risks against desired outcomes, engaging analytical specialists appropriately. You will capture and securely organise knowledge & information for wider use across the organisation. You will share knowledge and information across the wider system, to obtain best value from it across the wider public service.
- Leverage provided tooling to support system testing activities and E2E testing using Protractor, Appium or similar.
- Browser layout testing for responsive websites using Galen framework (or equivalent tooling) and testing on different browsers and/or devices.
- Performance, load and stress testing using Gatling or equivalent tooling.
- Rest API testing and maintaining existing framework using Rest-assured or equivalent tooling.
- Accessibility testing to address the needs with different disabilities using tools like HTML_CodeSniffer or equivalent tooling.
- Experience of JUnit, TestNG frameworks, perceptual or visual test automation of the responsive web UI using BackstopJS or equivalent.
- Continuous Integration and automation servers like Jenkins, distributed version control systems such as Git and have an awareness of continuous delivery.
Please send your CV and covering email (including a link to this post) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that the subject line contains “MyGov Test Engineer”.
Information about the Branch/Unit/Team
The Digital Public Services & Business Transformation Division is headed by Colin Cook, Deputy Director, and aims to deliver digital public services that meet ‘digital first’ principles. These commitments are set out in the national strategy, “Scotland’s Digital Future - Delivery of Public Services.”
The post holder will be managed by the Senior Software Engineer and will have no direct line management responsibilities.