Division: Digital Public Services and Business Transformation
Salary: £46,424 - £55,275
Type: 23 month fixed term contract
Closing date: CLOSED
Digital technology offers the opportunity to transform the way public services are delivered, both in the cost of their delivery and in improving the user-experience of those services.
Digital Public Services and Business Transformation works with the wider public sector to deliver a range of technical products. These include mygov.scot, which is a single point of entry to government services for citizens and businesses; beta.gov.scot, which is the nation-state website; and Rubric, which is the publishing system that underpins both of these .scot sites.
The Front End Developer will have broad and deep software development expertise and will understand the goals and strategy behind each project from conception through completion. This will involve providing technical leadership at the project level and responsibility for successful delivery of individual web applications or components. The Front End Developer will work in collaboration with the team as well as the test, infrastructure and release management functions to ensure successful delivery of the overall mygov.scot and gov.scot programme of work.
- Remain up to date with best practice as well as new developments and trends within the front-end and software engineering communities.
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the role of the team is well understood.
- Contribute to the software engineering technology radar and support the introduction of new tools, techniques and platforms through a hold, assess, trial, adopt lifecycle.
- Maintain the highest professional standards and deliver intelligently.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of robust, scalable, open and secure web front-ends ensuring delivery to the highest standard.
- Collaborate with delivery teams and partners to break technical requirements down into appropriate pieces.
- Consume web APIs, using RESTful principles, which are usable, scalable and forwards compatible.
- Contribute to the development of new features and products and work alongside the test team to ensure that new and updated platforms, products and transactions are thoroughly tested for performance and quality, are able to handle specified load, are robust and can be supported and maintained over the long-term.
- Work with the design and UX team to deliver usable, accessible solutions that meet users’ needs and excel user expectations.
- Adopt the use of agile technical practices including refactoring, unit testing and continuous integration.
- Leverage automation and continuous delivery practices to produce high quality applications on a consistent schedule.
- Integrate key cross-product systems such as identity assurance and operational monitoring.
- Collaborate with external suppliers to ensure that their system architectures meet our requirements, including application design and integration points/APIs.
Competencies and Experience Required
Communications and Engagement - You will contribute to and develop clear, creative and detailed policy communication strategies to achieve SG outcomes. You will manage internal and external relationships, creating positive networks and maintaining trust and credibility. You will know when to engage with communications specialists and consider the impact on other policies and programmes across SG & wider system. You will communicate complex information clearly, presenting strategic ideas in a clear and positive way.
Improving Performance - You will use relevant tools, techniques and skills development to facilitate continuous improvement. You will understand SG Programme and Project management Principles and uses PPM effectively and proportionately. You will adapt quickly to fit skills and resources to changing circumstances and expectations. You will maintain and promote risk management processes to improve strategic planning and resource allocation.
Analysis and Use of Evidence - You will develop policy options and decisions using a range of evidence and research, to ensure that polices are aligned to outcomes. You will use relevant evidence, recognising validity and limitations, in evaluations & assessment of risks against desired outcomes, engaging analytical specialists appropriately. You will capture and securely organise knowledge & information for wider use across the organisation. You will share knowledge and information across the wider system, to obtain best value from it across the wider public service.
- Significant professional experience designing, implementing and scaling high traffic web applications and web services.
- Experience of web development using the following stack:
- HTTP, XML and JSON
- AngularJS, NodeJS and NPM
- RESTful web services
- Microservices architecture
- Linux or Mac OS X operating system
- Awareness of standard technical practices including unit testing, version control, continuous integration, coding standards, design patterns and refactoring.
- Familiar with design work and graphics manipulation as well as realising static mock-ups in CSS and HTML with high fidelity.
- Familiar with front-end web development methods including:
- Progressive enhancement
- Responsive design
- Mobile first
- Cross-browser compatibility
- Unit, integration and layout testing
- Experience of working under both waterfall and agile methods of project management. In particular you must be proficient in iterative software development and understand the associated responsibilities, practices and artefacts. The ability to communicate clearly and consistently on these, and other elements of the software development lifecycle, with the wider team, is also important.
- Awareness with the realisation of system quality attributes. Particularly security, performance, compatibility, resilience and scalability. Familiarity with the principles of web accessibility and how to realise these in HTML and CSS is advantageous.
- Awareness of open source software including operation of open source solutions, integration of open source libraries or contribution to open source projects.
Please send your CV and covering email (including a link to this post) to: email@example.com. Please ensure that the subject line contains “MyGov Front End Developer”.
Information about the Branch/Unit/Team
The Digital Public Services and Business Transformation division is headed by Colin Cook, Deputy Director, and aims to deliver digital public services that meet ‘digital first’ principles. These commitments are set out in the national strategy, “Scotland’s Digital Future – Delivery of Public Services.”
The post holder will be managed by the Infrastructure Manager and will have no direct line management responsibilities.